Healthy Bladder Tips for Women
1) Empty the bladder 4 - 7 times a day
2) It is normal to sleep through the night or to wake up once to empty your bladder
3) Avoid getting into the habit of going ‘just-in-case’
4) It is important to sit down on the toilet and not ‘hover’
5) Take your time to empty the bladder. Relax. Don’t strain.
6) Drink at least 1.5L of fluid per day, and more in hot weather or when you are exercising.
7) Reduce things which may ‘irritate’ your bladder. This includes any caffeinated drinks (such as tea, coffee, cola), alcohol, fizzy drinks and artificial sweeteners.
8) Keep a healthy weight
9) Avoid straining on the toilet.
10) Practice pelvic floor exercises.
For more information read
If you have any specific concerns or are experiencing any bladder symptoms, such as urinary frequency, urgency, waking up several times a night needing to void, incontinence or difficulty emptying your bladder, a pelvic floor physiotherapist may help you with this. This is a physiotherapist who has undertaken postgraduate training in this area and is able to provide specific advice to help you. They can also assess your pelvic floor and may give you exercises which can help.